Select Page

Most modern family law courtrooms prefer joint physical custody when possible. The courts prefer to see children spend significant time with each parent, allowing them to maintain positive relationships after divorce or separation. A child visitation schedule called a parenting plan serves as both a calendar for parents to follow regarding parenting time with their children as well as the allocation of parental responsibility for their children. Your lawyer can help parents by drafting a parenting schedule. It is best to consult an attorney to discuss your issues with a parenting plan.

Why Is A Parenting Plan Important?

With a written plan, you and your children will know what to expect and will have fewer conflicts about shared parenting time. Your parenting plan becomes a court order after it is signed by both of you, signed by the judge, and filed with the court. Make a parenting plan that is in the best interest of your children. This plan is best decided upon by the parents through mediation. Many parents are able to work things out amicably but if they cannot, a judge will set the parenting plan.

What To Do If You Need To Modify The Parenting Plan Visitation Schedule

The parent who wants to modify will typically make their request with the help of their family law attorney. Kentucky law allows for a reduction in child support if you change jobs, become remarried, have another child or additional dependent children, or need to move for a job or to a different home. If parents disagree on an aspect of the parenting plan or encounter situations that are unaccounted for in the parenting plan, they should get legal help and modify the visitation schedule. Since the child visitation schedules are a signed court order and are legally binding, these plans can be altered provided both parents agree to the changes. A discussion with a lawyer should then take place and an Agreed Order that both parents would sign and enter in court would be the new parenting plan.

What Happens If There Is No Agreement? 

The typical process for modifying a parenting plan when there is no agreement would be to seek mediation. The goal is to get parents to work out their disagreements. Should mediation fail, the court is the next stop for the parent that seeks to modify the parenting plan. The court at this point may appoint a guardian ad litem (a child representative for the children involved). It is so much better if parents can work out a mutually acceptable parenting plan themselves.

How Can A Lawyer Help?

Experienced lawyers know how important family is. That’s why they fight to protect families. Experienced lawyers know which child representatives are good and which are not and they will help your case by getting someone they trust and respect appointed to the case if ordered by the judge. Having a lawyer is the best way for a parent who needs a change to ensure his/her rights are protected.

A vast majority of child visitation lawyers that are skilled in fixing visitation agreements provide a free consultation to discuss your issues in detail, so an attorney should always be consulted.

Contact Us (859-371-0730) for a Consultation Today

About Helmer Somers Law

We are committed to helping families resolve their differences and get back to their lives. We help individuals and families fight for custody of children. We protect your rights as you go through divorce proceedings. We offer the guidance and support that you will need when you are involved with the legal system. We help clients with cases involving…

  • Divorce and legal separation
  • Child custody and visitation
  • Child support and spousal support (alimony)
  • Property division
  • Paternity
  • Domestic violence
  • Adoption
  • Grandparent rights
  • And other related issues

Contact Us| (859) 371-0730